12 July 2002

Oh Jeez, Shaddap Already!

Ah, the word is starting to get out. Allow me to be Rich Grula for a moment and happily plug Salon's take on the whole "Palladium" brouhaha.

On a completely and utterly unrelated note, my favourite Orlando band (there I said it) the Delusionaires are playing tomorrow night at some new room I haven't yet had the pleasure of getting asked to leave from, the Peacock Room. Swank.

I can't believe I haven't yet mentioned in this blog how truly unique and wonderful Aaron Jarvis and his band of goons are, and all they contribute to Orlando culture both inside and outside the band.

For those asking themselves well, what do they sound like? -- I can only answer with pretty much the same reply I gave TimeOut magazine in London when we blurbed one of their recent gigs: "A very drunk, very early 60's strip club house band -- whose guitarist is possessed by Satan." They are, simply put, not like any other band.

What's more, Aaron is in my honest opinion an absolute GOD of a pulp-fiction writer ... I eagerly await his various email-noir missives which boast a staggeringly large vocabulary of "liquor lingo" as the hep-cats like to call it, along with a firm yet suave employment of the time-honoured "lovable drunk" persona. He's one of my favourite writers and yet he's never been published professionally. Mickey Spillane would off himself with one of his own .38s (after crying in his beer till it's so watered down they call it Keystone) if he ever read Aaron's superlative use of the lexicon of losers.

Head on over to the Delusionaires Den of Inequity -- the only web site that's 200 proof ...

No comments: