24 May 2002

Interesting Updates #1

Just thought you'd like to know ... Chas's Curse has struck again. Whenever I write about a specific version of a product, it immediately gets revised, so Mozilla is of course now at 1.0rc3. Apparently they squashed 139 bugs. So if you took my advice and downloaded rc2, head back over to Versiontracker.com or Mozilla.org and grab the new one ... or just wait till 1.0 final comes out.

I note with delight that IE's browser share continues to fall to reasonable levels, at least as far as this site is concerned. I want to make it clear ... I don't have anything against IE, it's a very nice program -- it's just that diversity is good. Since I published my various rants promoting browser alternatives, IE has gone from being the "browser of choice" of 89-90% of you to it's current 62% "marketshare." That is absolutely amazing, and yet the other statistics (like how many of you run Windows, Mac or UNIX) hasn't changed. As Doctor Evil would say, "EGG-cellent."

"Netscape 5" (my site log's code for Netscape 6 and/or Mozilla) is up from less than 10% to 38%. This is healthy, people, and it portends good things should AOL decide to take the bull by the horns. It also indicates that people are still willing to try something new if a) they're allowed to know about it and b) it offers some substantive reason to switch.

No comments: